Fiechter’s study leads to an essential and important conclusion that had a decisive influence on the current research program. It is the fact of that the Sanctuary of Amyklaion Apollo is constituted by four architectural units in total: the throne, the colossal cult statue with the grave of Hyacinth, the circular stepped altar and the precinct.
Given the fact that in the period between 1925 and 2005, the year the Research Programme of Amykles began, this particular site had not been investigated archaeologically, a new topography of the hill of Agia Kyriaki, as well as the wider area surrounding the hill, was considered as top priority. In this effort all the data from previous excavation researches was included, like those of Tsountas in 1890/1891, of Fiechter in 1907 and of Buschor in 1925, as well as the remains of the monuments, such as the sill, the precinct and the chapel.
All of the architectural structures that were found scattered on the hill were assembled in a spot and arranged in categories. In order to systematically study the vast number of stones that were used as building material for the construction of Agia Kyriaki, the exterior coat of the church was removed. Moreover, it was possible to also demolish the built bench on the wall of the external aisle of the church, so that the already known material was enriched with approximately twenty architectural pieces that belonged to the throne and the altar. In the attempt to locate further building materials from the monuments of the ancient sanctuary, which had been reused mainly during the post byzantine and in the modern era, their search was also extended to the wider area, with a radius of roughly 20 kilometres around Sparta. This effort bore fruit, an abundance of fragments were found as building material in the churches of Prophet Helias, Saint Theodoros and Saint Nikolaos, which are found within the settlement of modern Amykles, as well as in the church Panagia in the village Parori and in Saint Nikolaos in the site of Dafne.
Finally, the origin of the material that was used for the construction of the well-known monuments could be clarified with precision. Based on laboratorial analyses, it was confirmed that the material comes from Taygetos, and specifically from two quarries in the sites of Gynaika and Kalyvia of Sochas, found at a distance of ten kilometres from the Sanctuary.